Engage the Scripture
Begin by reflecting on the passage
- What scares, confuses or challenges me in this test?
- What delights me in this text?
- What stories or memories does this text stir in me?
- What is God up to in this text?
Seek to understand the world of the Bible and the setting of the text
- Who wrote this passage?
- Why was this text written?
- Where was this text written and what do we know about that part of the ancient world?
- How is this text similar to other ancient stories?
- When was this text written and what do we know about that time in history
Pay attention to how the passage was written
- What is the plot?
- Who are the characters?
- What is the theme of this passage?
- What is the setting for this passage?
Lutheran Theological Reading
Consider the Lutheran perspectives that help ground our interpretation of the passage
- In what ways does this text point to or lead us to Christ?
- Can other passages in the Bible help us understand or interpret this passage?
- What is the plain meaning of this text?
- Is the interpretation we are commending accessible to everyone?
Taken from Opening the Book of Faith, 2008, Augsburg Fortress.